Usal Pav is a delicious snack which is very popular in Maharashtra. People of Indore like a lot of dishes, which are influenced from Maharashtra, but are tweaked to Indori taste. Typically these dishes are made more spicey and tasty (Chatpati) and addition of Indori Sev to it makes it much more tasty then any other place.
There are many people who make fun of Indori dishes saying that Indori people can eat Sev with anything or everything. Well to some extent its true. Many people of indore have habit of eating Sev with regular meal. The unique taste of Sev makes people habitual to it.
Here are the Ingredients of Indori Style Usal Pav:
1 cup Green Peas
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/4 tsp crushed Cumin Seeds
1 Lemon Juice
2 tblsp Oil
salt to taste
Make Paste of these:
1 small bunch fresh Coriander
8-10 Green Chillies
1/2 cup fresh grated Coconut
- Chopped onions
- Fine Sev
- Lemon Quarters
- In a heavy bottom vessel and heat oil in it.
- Make the paste of coriander, green chillies and grated coconut.
- Stir fry this paste in the oil for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add all the other ingredients, stir and boil.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes with stirring occasionally.
- Cook till oil separates and floats on top and peas get soft.
- Check the seasoning.
- To garnish sprinkle chopped onions, juice of lemon
- Garnish on top with Indori Long Sev to make it more tasty .
- Serve hot with bread or pav.